Thursday, October 25, 2007

Crispy, cripsy Benjamin Franklin....

Regina Spektor. What a unique woman. In my research paper, I would like to explore this uniqueness and take a different approach to autobiography. Doing some research I found this: "She has also stated that she never aspired to write songs herself, but songs seem to just flow to her.[9] Spektor's songs are not usually autobiographical, but rather are based on scenarios and characters drawn from her imagination" (wikipedia). Then it clicked. Can imagination be a form of autobiography? I think with much research, I could prove this idea through the life of Regina Spektor. I would basically like to see how imagination can tell a story about her life through her music. I'm also thinking about researching related topics like women and music, autobiography and music to see if I find any connections. This is all I have so far...

2 comments:

Alejandro said...

I think your idea has a lot of potential, especially with your goal of "proving" that this method of song writing can be autobiographical. I think it might be worthwhile to research the psychological aspect of this topic (in terms of finding a "lense"). In other words, look into how psychologists analyze a person's imaginations. It should be similar to dissecting a person's dreams--different occurrences and things symbolize something specific to that person. I think the Sociological Abstracts database would be worth researching in. I tried to search for "dream analysis" and came up with some sketchy sources, so I think the best thing for you to do (assuming you want to research this aspect at all) is ask Bianca on Wednesday how to look into that.

M. Ray said...

Caro,

Here's a summary of what we went over after your E-Poster presentation today...

Basically, you cn use general psychological research that may not have anything to do with Spektor directly, but use the research you find on imagination/dreams/subconscious/etc. to prove that her lyrics are autobiographical

Some ideas that people brought up were:
imagination is autobiographical--you can use this as a tool to relate lyrics back to Spektor and her life
dreams--even though they may be fiction, they can relate to someone's life
subconscious--artists may subconsciously employ parts of their lives into their work without realizing it

So after researching these topics psychologically, as well as anything else that can relate, you can do the rest on your own and link the lyrics to her life.

Alison also said she had a book that would be helpful.