Friday, December 7, 2007

Enough with the food motif!

So honestly.. a book about cooking did not interest me at all. Although I love everything about food (as you could probably tell by my other blog entries) I cannot stand being in the kitchen cooking something. It is just not me. Anyway, I began to read Julie & Julia and was actually very impressed with Julie Powell's writing style. Even though the content did not really engage me at first, the sarcastic and witty comments really got me into the book. I even wrote a "haha" on one of the pages so I guess I could remember specifically why I thought the book was humorous. It was in the beginning of the book. Julie's mother had come to stay with her and she explained how noisy it had been trying to sleep in a New York "loft". She explains her mother's frustrations in trying to sleep when a truck was "beeping loudly" at five o'clock in the morning "presumably so that none of the bustling pedestrians overflowing the sidewalks of Long Island City at five a.m. would dart out in the middle of the street and get hit by a slow moving two-hundred-foot crane" (50). I actually think I laughed out loud. On another note, I was a bit disappointed by the book. Okay, it is called “Julie & JULIA”. Where was the connection there? Did I just totally miss that? I did think that it was cool, though, how Julia Child’s last diary entry kind of began at the start of her cooking career. It was kind of like Julie’s ending, started with Julia’s beginning (even though in real life it was the other way around- Julia influenced Julie). Powell had an interesting idea there; I just wish she would have gotten more personal with Julia in the diary entries, instead of confuse her audience with Paul’s letters or entries (whatever they were?). Nonetheless, I guess the book did end up impressing me in the end. Although the ending (well, the double ending), is a bit weak, I feel as though it may have been the only way she could have ended such a book. The end. OH, and sometimes second endings are just annoying.

No comments: