Sunday, October 7, 2007

Break me off a piece of that...

Food... FOOD. FOOOD!! When said out loud, this four-letter word can cause people’s eyes to widen in excitement, or it could cause them to cringe in terror and run for their lives. Whichever way you may react, I think deep down everyone could agree that food is good. In some way, our lives revolve around it. Whether we spend all of our time running away from it, or indulging in it, food is always on our minds. SO, here’s the thing… I read a blog titled “My Black Dress”. What is the relationship between this black satin dress and food, you ask? Let’s use some mathematics to understand this…

When you eat too much food:

Hips and butt > Black satin dress

(hips and butt are greater than black satin dress and THEREFORE could never fit into the dress)

A simple solution to this problem would be to just get a bigger size. But then we run into another traumatic problem: actually having to buy a bigger size. Most girls are not necessarily happy when they realize that they must go up a size. It is essentially the reason why girls might start to eat less, or cease to eat at all. The blog I read though was about a woman who just couldn’t bring herself to eat less, or to stop when it got too far. She would eat until she felt sick! Whenever she got home late from a long tiresome day (like most of us do), all she could do to make herself feel better was eat, eat, and eat. It was pretty interesting; I think a lot of girls suffer from this same problem. Eating to take away the pain. Whenever we are bitter or irritated, a homemade batch of cookies is all we want in front of us. And when we break up with a boyfriend, bring on the pint of ice cream… This only becomes worse when these treats become late night habits. That is blogger “Buttercup’s” problem. She “munches” on anything and everything late at night when she wants to relax from a stressful day. But later, she complains how she cannot fit into her black satin dress. I guess this is why I chose to read this blog. I am sure everyone here has heard about the Freshman 15. Okay, my roommates and I are having some trouble with this… It scares us to death, but there is nothing that can stop us from having those delicious midnight snacks. Our pants haven’t become tight just yet (knock on wood) but we have definitely packed on some meat in these past couple months. I mean, I sit here right now while writing this blog eating a Kit-Kat bar, depressed that the weekend is over and I actually have to do homework. I am now staring at the half-eaten bar realizing that I just proved my point. So isn’t that what I wanted? To prove my point? If proving my point in this blog means gaining another 220 calories, then this is just not fair. I want to fit into my black dress too! It is all about this inner struggle that the blogger discusses, do I want to enjoy this cookie or be confident with what I’m wearing? Of course neither of these can be sacrificed, food nor self image, but we have to find a balance. So, I will leave the second half of my Kit-Kat bar, and just stare at it. I'm staring... and staring... oh, and it just disappeared. Guess this is going to be harder than I thought.

1 comment:

caroline said...

What an interesting blog! I'm also seeing this food theme repeated in your entries... "I like to eat eat eat apples and bananas." :) Your blog shows that there are a lot of different (and crazy) topics out there to read about.